Thursday, April 23, 2009

Just Another Sad Love Song...

Welcome to heartbreak my friends. It's that time of year again when people ditch their cabin fever along with their significant other in favor of the freedom warmer weather brings. Many of us have a playlist on iTunes ready for such occasions. I usually start out with some Stevie or Alicia Keys. But when I break out the Prince and Sheryl Crow? Well you might just want to check on me at least three times a day. Anyway, I'd like to share my personal sad song essentials reserved for special circumstances:

Atlantic Starr- "If Your Heart Isn't in it"

I love this song. Ever deal with someone who you really like, but they pretty much seem like they hate you? Like with a passion. Well I wouldn't know how that feels (lying), but I would imagine it sucks. This one is for when mere actions just won't do. You pretty much need for them to say they hate you directly in order for it to sink in:

"If your heart isn't in it
Why can't you tell me so?
If my heart wasn't in it
I'd have gone long ago
If your heart isn't in it
Why keep me hangin' on?
Just tell me and I'll be gone
From your life"

Isley Brothers-"Hello It's Me"

Beautiful song. This one's for when you know good and well it's over between you, but emotion gets in there and its hard to just walk away. Usually, this is accompanied by an "it's complicated" relationship status on Facebook.

Hello, it's me
I've thought about us for a long, long time
Maybe I think too much but something's wrong
Something here that doesn't last too long
Maybe I shouldn't think of you as mine

Prince-"The Beautiful Ones"

Don't get me started on Prince. This song is for when you really, really want somebody who just doesn't seem to want you back.

Baby, baby, baby
Can't you stay with me tonight
Oh baby, baby, baby
Don't my kisses please you right
You were so hard to find
The beautiful ones, they hurt you every time

Teddy Pendergrass-"Love T.K.O."

You've been lied to, stood up and you're not sure but they may have even cheated! Their cell phone stays locked and on silent. Sad thing is, you've been here before. Teddy's grainy voice will have thinking about some things on this one.

Lookin' back over my years
Guess, I've shedded some tears
Told myself time and time again
This time I'm gonna win
But another fight, things ain't right
I'm losing again
Takes a fool to lose twice
And start all over again
Think I'd better let it go
Looks like another love T.K.O. (Oh...oh...oh...)

Stevie Wonder-"Rocket Love"

This song is pure heartbreak. It's for when you're dealing with a person who loves you one day, then hates you the next. A roller coaster ride for the heart.

You took me riding in your rocket gave me a star
But at a half a mile from heaven you dropped me back
down to this cold, cold world
Took me riding in your rocket gave me a star
But at a half a mile from heaven you dropped me back
down to this cold, cold world

Sheryl Crow-"Strong Enough"

And this is where it gets pretty serious. Forget pride, forget all the bad things. You don't even care anymore. You just want them back.

When I've shown you that I just don't care
When I'm throwing punches in the air
When I'm broken down and I can't stand
Will you be strong enough to be my man?

Lie to me
I promise I'll believe
Lie to me
But please don't leave

Okay, that's enough of me and my sad love songs. What songs do you have on your iTunes playlist for bad breakups?

by Ciara

No comments:

Post a Comment