Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Black History Month


Happy Black History Month!! Do people say that? Who cares, I'm saying it! Back to black, though. Cleveland is a city rich in cultural history, and the remnants of such are still quite evident today. So many extraordinary people have come out of the city and excelled in many areas. Each week we'll bring you one of those people to encourage and inspire you to be extraordinary, too.


Today, Dollhouse will take a look at literary great, Langston Hughes. Everyone knows who he is and why he's great. But did you know Hughes spent a part of his childhood in the city? Before ruling the renaissance in Harlem Hughes ran Cleveland! Born in 1902, Hughes later graduated from Central High School. The Karamu House also credits the playwright with being very instrumental in its beginnings. In fact, "Black Nativity," a Hughes play,is performed every single year.


Take time out this week to explore some of Hughes' work.


I, Too, Sing America
by Langston Hughes

I, too, sing America.
I am the darker brother.
They send me to eat in the kitchen
When company comes,
But I laugh,
And eat well,
And grow strong.

Tomorrow,
I'll be at the table
When company comes.
Nobody'll dare
Say to me,
"Eat in the kitchen,"
Then.

Besides,
They'll see how beautiful I am
And be ashamed--

I, too, am America.


by Ciara

No comments:

Post a Comment