Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Networking 101

As many of you may know Dollhouse is holding our first ever social networking event this Thursday at Bodega at 8pm. This opportunity is a relaxed one because you are sure to be among friends, but what happens when you walk in a room and the only person you know happens to know everybody. Sure many of us enjoy meeting new people, but networking often puts a person on the spot. Suddenly you are talking to someone who has no idea who you are and you have mere minutes to convince them why they should care. Here I will offer some of my personal tips for networking, many of which I have yet to practice, but sound good on paper, nonetheless:

1. Network with a purpose. Why is it important for you to meet new people? Are you looking to enter a field but you've been having trouble getting in the door? Are you looking to collaborate on a project? Be nice to everyone but, pay attention to those you meet that may have something to offer.

2. Be choosy. Don't just bombard people with your business card. Most of them don't want it anyway. Just like dating, see if you have a connection with that person. If you feel like you do, pass them your card. ( I mean, you wouldn't just give your number out to everyone who asked you for it, and you definitely don't want everyone's number either.) There's always a possibility they will think of you later or know someone who could benefit from contacting you. Don't have a business card? That's cool, a lot of people don't. I'm sure you have a cell number or email you can pass along.

3. Relax. Most of the time I go to these networking things I get really nervous. By nature I'm pretty quiet when I first meet a person and I think it's painfully obvious when I'm reaching. There's a lot of pressure being placed in a room full of complete strangers, but what's the point of going if you're not going to talk? I try to remind myself that no matter who the person is, they are merely another person and probably do the same dumb stuff I do in my free time.

4. Follow Through. Ever meet someone who has a really good connect for you, but insists that you must get in touch with them asap. Later you think about calling, but you just don't. No good reason. Stop doing that. As long as it's something that's legit, always follow up with people. They were interested enough to keep talking to you and put you on to something, so why not take them up on the offer.

5. K.I.T. That's keep in touch, for those of you who never got your yearbook signed. It might seem like your being annoying, but sending someone you met an email or something a while after you met them is really a nice gesture. It says "hey, I really enjoyed talking with you and I wasn't just wasting your time." It will also remind them you exist and give them more of a reason to stay in touch, too.

6. Don't be annoying. I don't if it's just me, but I've become a bit disenchanted with those who immediately start barking to me about all the things they do and why they're so important. Then they ask me what do I do as if it defines me. Just calm down and open with something else. Most importantly, give someone an opportunity to ask you a damn question!!!

7. Go to Bodega Thursday, March 26th at 8pm.


by Ciara

No comments:

Post a Comment